AIBC Council Meeting Summary – November 10, 2015
December 1, 2015
At the November 10, 2015 council meeting, the AIBC Council dealt with the following items:
Registration Board Report
• The Canadian Architectural Students Association (CASA) is available for students to share information between schools. They also provide perspective to the accreditation team.
• UBC SALA’s co-op work experience program needs more firms to participate in their program. Please contact the Co-op Coordinator Greg Johnson at email@example.com for more information.
CEO (ED) Report
• ExAC was held on Nov 2-3, with 70 writers in Vancouver, and for the first time in Victoria, with 4 writers.
• AIBC’s Annual Conference (Oct 28-30) was well received; preliminary unsolicited reviews are extremely favorable, and the formal assessment will be complete later this month.
• IRC (CALA International Relations Committee) met Oct 22 and endorsed AIBC’s proposal for the process of registering APEC Architects, and approved China as the next target for MRA discussions.
• The “CEO meet & greet” in Kelowna was held Oct 15; it was well received and it was requested that it be coordinated annually.
• At the Vancouver Island Chapter Meeting on Oct 5, AIBC council member Catherine Nickerson presented a summary of AIBC business; AIBC staff joined via telephone.
• Michelle Rupp is AIBC’s new Lieutenant Governor Appointee to council. Michelle brings to the position almost 30 years of business experience in a number of diverse areas from communications and marketing, to leadership development.
• The Governance Committee has approved a council training plan comprised of core (mandatory), elementary, and discretionary course offerings.
• Council considered and approved the institute’s budget for 2016. On behalf of FICOM, Treasurer Karl Gustavson Architect AIBC presented the budget overview, explained the rationale for the modest fee increase, and recommended a review of the Policy 22.214.171.124 regarding the operating reserve fund.
• Taking into account the Bylaw Review Committee’s recommendations and member feedback gathered during the requisite consultation period, council approved the motion that three administrative bylaws be advanced to members for electronic vote, Nov 17 until Dec 10 at 5 p.m. (PST). Read about the bylaw review process and review the three proposed bylaw amendments (and supporting rationales).
• Please note: the second bylaw initiative proposed by the BRC, on investigations and remedial discipline, is currently in the consultation phase. A session, held during the 2015 annual conference, will be supplemented with additional in-person and online opportunities in the new year. Members are encouraged to avail themselves of the presentation material currently available online, attend sessions and submit feedback via the online form or email. Learn more.
• Council approved motions to update Bulletins 01: Fees, Fines and Charges and Bulletin 03: Annual Fee Waiver. Significant updates to Bulletin 01 include:
– A modest increase in annual renewal fees, across all categories.
– A change to the late annual renewal payment.
Updates regarding Bulletin 01 and 03 include:
– Replacing the defined dollar amounts for annual thresholds pertaining to Bulletin 03 with reference to Bulletin 01, where the defined amounts will be reviewed annually.
• Please note: Bulletin 02: Reinstatement of Registration and Bulletin 05: Resignation of Registration have also been updated to improve organization, provide greater clarity and detail.
Road to Registration Task Force
• The Diverse Membership Working Group has been decommissioned as operational initiatives will be transferred to a new task force, co-ordinated through the AIBC Registration Board. Read the Road to Registration Task Force terms of reference. DMWG chair Mona Lovgreen Architect AIBC and the members of the working group were recognized for their tremendous effort and the valuable work they undertook.
• Council approved a motion to establish qualifications for “student affiliates” and discontinued “student associates”. This will enable the transfer of any remaining bona fide students to the affiliate category and clear the register of the discontinued student associate class.
• Motions were passed for committee changes, examination results and register amendments as well as terms of reference.
• Read adopted Sept 08 and 22, and Oct 20 council meeting minutes.
• The next regular meeting of AIBC Council is scheduled for January 11, 2016. It will be held at the AIBC office between 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. For those interested in attending an AIBC Council Meeting, please confirm your attendance in advance by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.