Employment Law 101
November 3, 2015
Employers are frequently faced with difficult employment issues from recruiting new hires to terminating “problem” employees.
In this half-day seminar, Harris lawyer Ilan Burkes will review the fundamentals of employment law and provide practical tips to address all facets of the non-union employment relationship.
Topics covered will include:
• Avoiding trouble – Discrimination, inducement and other pitfalls
• The value of written employment contracts
• Restrictive covenants – When are they enforceable?
• Complying with the Employment Standards Act
• Probationary periods
• Suspension of non-union staff
• Managing absenteeism
• Avoiding constructive dismissal claims
• Understanding just cause
• Structuring proper severance packages
Date: November 27, 2015, 8:30am-12:30pm. Continental breakfast will be provided.
Location: Bentall Five Conference Centre, 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver
To register: https://sites-harrisco.vuturevx.com/14/106/landing-pages/rsvp-(blank).asp?sid=130fec65-1fc3-491f-91f4-2060006593b2
This course provides business expertise for those members and associates interested in honing their skills in the area of office management and human relations. Please note that enrollment is limited to 30 participants. Those who attend will be able to self-report 3.5 CORE Continuing Education System learning units (LUs) for their attendance. Furthermore, if more than 30 participants register AIBC will work with Harris & Co. to organize an additional offering of this event in early 2016.