Annual Meeting Summary
May 20, 2015
The 96th AIBC Annual Meeting was held on 02 May 2015, at Simon Fraser University (Segal Building), Vancouver. Once quorum (96) was met, AIBC Council president Scott Kemp Architect AIBC opened the meeting. More than 130 registrants and guests were in attendance.
The 2015 Annual Meeting Booklet and PowerPoint slide deck are posted on the AIBC website. For ease of reference, where applicable, page and slide numbers corresponding to the Booklet and slide deck will be included in the highlights below.
– Pierre Gallant Architect AIBC, said a few words on behalf of the RAIC Vancouver chapter
– Newly registered members and associates were welcomed to the meeting and the AIBC. A list of names scrolled across the screen as those in attendance were asked to stand. Names are listed in the PowerPoint slide deck, slides 5-12.
– A new audience response system was utilized this year. The hand-held devices were used by eligible members to cast votes on the various motions put forth during the meeting.
– Following the meeting call to order, the close of elections was announced. Five candidates were elected by acclamation to council. The 2015/2016 AIBC Council including officers and invited guests to council.
– The 95th AIBC Annual Meeting Minutes, held May 3 2014, were adopted.
– A moment of silence was held in recognition of the AIBC members and other registrants who passed away in the previous year. A list can be found in the PowerPoint slide deck, slide 35.
– Honorary membership for Mr. Bogue Babicki was approved by the required 4/5ths majority. Nomination information is found in the 2015 Annual Meeting Booklet, pages 17-26.
– AIBC Council president Scott Kemp Architect AIBC presented his report entitled “Getting It Done”. The President’s Report, included in the 2015 Annual Meeting Booklet, can be found on pages 27-29.
– Filing of the annual audited financial statements and appointment of the auditor Wolrige Mahon LLP were followed by the Treasurer’s Report, presented by AIBC councilor and finance committee member Catherine Nickerson Architect AIBC, in lieu of AIBC treasurer Danica Djurkovic Architect AIBC. The financial statements and Treasurer’s Report are located on pages 31-49 and 51-58, respectively, in the 2015 Annual Meeting Booklet.
– Councilor Gordon Richards Architect AIBC, on behalf of AIBC registrar Karl Gustavson Architect AIBC, delivered the Registrar’s Report, pages 59-62. The two tables charting 2010-2014 Register Tally and Means of Registration were presented.
– There were three presentations on council initiatives. Please refer to the Annual Meeting PowerPoint slide deck, pages 63-110.
o AIBC Council president Scott Kemp Architect AIBC gave an update on the organization’s strategic plan and presented the institute’s updated mandate, vision, values and goals.
o AIBC Council vice president Darryl Condon Architect AIBC summarized the Strategic Engagement Committee’s activities.
o The Diverse Membership Working Group presentation was given by AIBC councilor Mona Jahedi Architect AIBC.
– As at past annual meetings, the floor was opened to the Members’ Forum. The sole motion brought forward requested council to consider mandatory professional liability insurance for all members. The motion passed.
– Thank you to those who attended and participated, to AIBC staff and to registered professional parliamentarian, Mr. Eli Mina.