AIBC Council Meeting Summary – 02 May 2015
May 20, 2015
Prior to the 02 May 2015 council meeting, the 96th AIBC annual meeting was held. During the annual meeting, the 2015/2016 AIBC Council was announced.
Following the annual meeting, the 2015/2016 AIBC Council met and dealt with the following items:
AIBC Officers and Invited Guests to Council
One of the first orders of council business was to fill the officer positions and invited guests to council.
- President: Darryl J. Condon Architect AIBC
- Vice President: Danica Djurkovic Architect AIBC
- Treasurer: Karl W. Gustavson Architect AIBC
- Registrar*: Joan Hendriks Architect AIBC
*The registrar, a non-voting officer position on council, can be held by a council member or an AIBC staff member provided they are an Architect AIBC. This year, AIBC Director of Registration and Licensing, Joan Hendriks Architect AIBC, was appointed to the position.
Invited Guests to Council
- Immediate past president: Scott Kemp Architect AIBC. Council policy 3.12 details the role of the immediate past president.
- Intern Architect Liaison. The sole intern architect candidate withdrew their nomination prior to the annual meeting; therefore, the intern architect liaison to council position remains vacant. A recommendation from staff will be put forward to council for consideration.
- Architectural Technologist Liaison: Michael Currie Architectural Technologist AIBC returns to complete the second year of his two year term.
- IDIBC Liaison. This position is vacant.
AIBC Council President Opening Remarks
The 2015/2016 AIBC Council president Darryl J. Condon Architect AIBC thanked immediate past-president Scott Kemp Architect AIBC for his leadership and he looked forward to Scott’s continued involvement and mentorship.
Darryl was honoured to be elected to council and as president. He emphasized his goal for significant headway on the three areas of Act Review, Public Outreach and creating a diverse membership. He also noted that the annual meeting was an important opportunity to hear from members, particularly about the topic of insurance.
Acknowledging that a substantial amount of work accomplished this year was, in part, a result of the collaborative nature between council, staff and members, Darryl reaffirmed that this approach will continue to serve as a guide for the slate of projects before council.
Registration Board and Council Committees
AIBC Councilor Mona Jahedi Architect AIBC was reappointed to the Registration Board. In addition, current Registration Board members were reappointed for the coming year.
In keeping with best practices for not-for-profit and corporate governance models the following amendments were adopted:
- A Human Resources Committee was introduced to deal with issues related to staff and the CEO.
- The monitoring of the strategic plan was determined to better sit with the Governance Committee.
- And as a result of these two changes, the Operational Constraints Committee was disestablished.
Council participation was mapped out for the numerous council committees.
Motions were passed for committee changes, examination results and register amendments as well as terms of reference.
The next official meeting of AIBC Council is scheduled for 14 July 2015. It will be held at the AIBC offices between 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Members, associates and the public are welcome to attend. Please confirm your attendance in advance by contacting Executive Coordinator Tracy Tough by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).