Building Regulatory System White Papers
March 13, 2012
Following a series of reviews and consultations, the Province of British Columbia has now brought forth a series of proposals to improve the regulation of buildings, including changes to the B.C. Building Code. Under these new proposals, the building regulatory system will be modernized by:
- increasing consistency in building standards across B.C. by establishing sole authority for the provincial government to set building standards;
- providing provincial interpretations of the B.C. Building Code;
- introducing a third party audit system for code compliance and administration;
- establishing a provincial evaluation body to consider alternative solutions and product evaluation; and
- establishing a stakeholder advisory body to advise on matters related to the building regulatory system.